Learn to make restaurant style recipe of Rajma masala recipe at home.
Restaurant style rajma masala recipe at home with step by step.
- Rajma - 1 cup
- large onion finely chopped - 1
- medium finely chopped tomatoes - 3
- ginger-garlic-green chili paste. - 1 tbsp
- coriander powder - 1 tsp
- red chili powder - ¼ to ½ tsp
- turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- asafoetida - a pinch
- garam masala powder - ¼ tsp to ½ tsp
- cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- kasuri methi - 1 tsp
- butter, - 2 tbsp
- oil - 1 tbsp
- cream - 2 to 3 tbsp
- water for pressure cooking - 3.5 to 4 cups
- rajma stock, the water which is used to cook the rajma or plain water for the gravy or curry - 1.5 to 2 cups
- Ssalt - as required
1) First rinse and soak the rajma in enough water overnight after next day, discard the water and rinse the beans again in fresh water. Then in a pressure cooker, take both the rajma and 4 cups water.
2) Then keep pressure cook on a medium to high flame for 15-20 minutes. when the rajma is cooking, then you can chop the onions, tomatoes etc. now the pressure settles down on its own, and open the lid,
3) Then check if the rajma is cooked, when if they are not cooked completely, then pressure cook again adding some water if required for some minutes.
4) Now heat oil and butter in another pan. Then add cumin first and let them crackle & get browned. then add onions and saute them till they caramelized or golden browned.
5) but take care not to burn them as this will impart bitter tones in the curry. Then light browning the onions is also alright. And keep on stirring the onions while sauting them, for uniform cooking and also so that they don't get burnt.
6) Then add the ginger-garlic-chili paste. stir and saute for 5-10 seconds on a low flame. Now add the tomatoes. saute for 2-3 minutes till the tomatoes become soft.
7) Then add all the spice powders one by one - turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, asafoetida and garam masala powder. Then stir and saute the whole masala mixture till the fat starts leaving the masala.
8) You can use a slotted spoon and remove the beans and add them to the masala. and you can also strain the rajma first and keep it aside. Then keep the stock also aside. stir and saute for a minute.
9) Then take 1.5 to 2 cups from the stock and add to the rajma. Then add salt and stir the whole curry mixture. simmer without a lid for 10-12 minutes. it should not be watery.
10) Now mash a few rajma beans with the spoon. its helps to thicken the curry. when the rajma masala has thickened and comes to the right consistency which is neither too thick nor thin, then add the kasuri methi and cream.
11) Now stir and simmer rajma masala for 1 minute. Then switch off the fire. Now serve rajma masala restaurant style with steamed basmati rice, jeera rice or naan.