Learn to make Gujrati Trevti Dal Recipe at home with step by step.
All gujrati people love to eat trevti dat. let's make it with easy method.
- * for pressure cooking the lentils:
- Chana dal - 1/3 cup
- Moong dal - 1/3 cup
- Arhar dal - 1/3 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- water for pressure cooking - 2.5 cups
- * other ingredients:
- Ginger-Green chili paste - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- chopped tomatoes - 1/3 cup
- red chili powder - ½ tsp
- Asafoetida - a generous pinch
- Cloves - 3
- Small to Medium Tej Patta - 1
- Dry Red Chilies - 2
- lime Juice - 1 tsp
- Water to be added later - 1 cup
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Salt - as required
* pressure cooking the lentils:
1) First take 1/3 cup each of chana dal, moong dal and arhar dal in a bowl and rinse all the three lentils well in water and then soak them in enough water for 1 hour. Then drain the lentils.
2) Then take the lentils in a pressure cooker and add ½ tsp turmeric powder, pour 2.5 cups water. Then stir and then pressure cook the dals for 9 whistles till they are softened and cooked thoroughly. Then lightly mash the dal with a spoon and keep aside.
* tempering and further cooking:
3) Then heat 2 tbsp oil in a small pan. and add the following spices ½ tsp cumin seeds, 1 small to medium tej patta and 3 cloves.
4) Then stir and fry the spices till the cumin seeds splutter and all the spices become aromatic. Now fry on a low flame so that the spices but do not get burnt.
5) then add a generous pinch of asafoetida and 2 dry red chilies. Then fry till the red chilies change their color and add 1 tsp ginger green chili paste. Then stir and saute for about 15 to 20 seconds.
6) then add 1/3 cup chopped tomatoes and stir well. Then add ½ tsp red chili powder and stir and saute the tomatoes till they soften.Now once the tomatoes are softened, pour the entire tempering mixture along with the oil in the cooked dal.
7) Then stir well and add 1 cup water. now season with salt.
8) Now stir and keep the pressure cooker on the stove top and bring to a simmer. Now do stir at intervals so that the lentils don't stick to the bottom of the cooker. Now simmer for 6 to 7 minutes on a low to medium flame.
9) then add 1 tsp lime juice. now add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. Then stir again and switch off the flame.
10) Now ready serve trevti dal hot with some steamed rice and soft chapatis or phulkas.
Latest posts by Mukesh (see all)
- Dahi Bhindi Dhabha Style Recipe | Dahi Bhindi Masala by All India Recipe - October 6, 2017
- Pav Bhaji Recipe | How to Make Pav bhaji By All India Recipe - September 26, 2017
- Aloo Ki Sukhi Sabji Recipe | Dry Aloo Sabji by All India Recipe - September 13, 2017